Over 90% of children go trick or treating each Halloween. A bag full of candy is a child’s dream come true and a dentist’s nightmare. Here are some tips from Dr. Gauthier at Apex Dental in Northbourough to keep your kids teeth healthy this Halloween:
1. Eat sweets with meals – Saliva production increases when you eat a large meal and can help neutralize acids from bacteria.
2. Avoid hard candy or sweets that stay in the mouth a long time – These can increase the likelihood of tooth decay.
3. Avoid sticky candy – Sticky candies get trapped in the contours of the tooth and increase the risk of tooth decay.
4. Drink plenty of water – Avoid sodas, sports drinks and flavored waters. Stick to fluoridated water to decrease the chances of tooth decay.
5. Chew sugarless gum – Chewing sugarless gum (look for the ADA Seal) after meals has been shown to effectively reduce tooth decay.
And of course, remember to brush your teeth twice a day, floss daily and visit Apex Dental- Your dentist in Northborough on a regular basis.