Because teeth grinding normally occurs during sleep, many people don’t realize they have a problem. Instead, they experience headaches, a sore jaw, or worn teeth. Dr. Gauthier has advanced training in treating complex dental issues such as teeth grinding.
Millions of people grind their teeth. Called Bruxism, teeth grinding can lead to serious problems including jaw disorders, headaches and damaged teeth when left untreated.
Identifying the Signs Teeth Grinding
Dr. Gauthier is a dentist focused on the treatment of TMJ disorders. Few clinicians are trained to properly identify, diagnose and treat Temporomandibular Disorders (TMD). Dr. Gauthier studied at the Dawson Academy, one of the leading post graduate dental training facilities, and has learned how to easily diagnose teeth grinding through a simple visual examination.
Signs and Symptoms of Teeth Grinding
- Worn, flat or chipped teeth
- Abraded tooth enamel
- Sensitive teeth
- Jaw pain or tightness in the jaw muscles
- Facial pain
- Cuts or sores on the inside cheek
Treatment for Teeth Grinding
Stress is the primary cause for teeth grinding. Lifestyle changes and relaxation techniques may help to reduce or stop your teeth grinding. In many cases, though, professional treatment is needed to correct the source of the problem and repair damage caused by teeth grinding.
- Bite Guard – Dr. Gauthier frequently uses a teeth grinding mouth guard, or bite guard, to stop teeth grinding. A bite guard is a customized, removable appliance similar to a sports mouth guard that is made to fit over your teeth and prevent teeth grinding. Most bite guards are worn at night, however some patients may find wear they wear their teeth grinding mouth guard during high stress situations.
- Bite Alignment Therapy – Dr. Gauthier provides a comprehensive and broad range of services to correct the causes of teeth grinding. Malocclusion, or improper alignment of the teeth, is one cause for teeth grinding. Teeth can be corrected to proper alignment through the use of invisible braces, dental crowns, dental veneers or dental implants.
- Cosmetic Dentistry to Repair Damage – Once the teeth grinding causes have been successfully treated, the dentist will focus on repairing damage caused by teeth grinding. Chronic teeth grinding can leave teeth worn, chipped or broken. Dr. Gauthier may repair teeth using dental crowns, porcelain veneers or cosmetic bonding.
Schedule an Appointment to Stop Teeth Grinding
If you or someone you love is suffering from teeth grinding, schedule a consultation with Dr. Gauthier. A simple bite analysis and consultation can reveal whether or not your teeth grinding is caused by TMJ dysfunction and you can be well on your way to much needed relief. Contact us to schedule an appointment.