What Is A Dental Crown?
A dental crown is a customized cover that is placed over the tooth to restore its strength and improve its appearance. The latest dental materials practically eliminate the need for the use of metal in dental crowns which can discolor the teeth and cause discomfort. Dr. Gauthier’s use of modern, high-quality materials and CEREC technology ensures that your smile will have the look and feel of your natural teeth.
What Can Dental Crowns Be Used To Address?
- To protect a weak tooth (for example, from tooth decay or a filling) from breaking or to hold together parts of a cracked tooth
- To restore an already broken tooth or a tooth that has significant wear
- To cover and support a tooth with a large filling
- To hold a dental bridge in place
- To cover misshaped or severely discolored teeth
- To cover a dental implant
- To make a cosmetic modification
Benefits Of Dental Crowns
- A crown that fits correctly over your tooth can last for many years, even for decades.
- A dental crown covers the tooth over which it is placed (think of it as a cap for your tooth), so it protects the tooth against tooth decay.
- A crown can cover up a stained or unusually shaped tooth, adding to your self-confidence and giving you a nicer smile.
- A crown can keep a cracked tooth together and prevent or delay having to have a tooth extracted by your dentist.
Same Day Dental Crowns
Dr. Gauthier is the one and the only dentist in Northborough to have CEREC technology for same day dental crowns. CEREC uses advanced CAD/CAM technology to produce indirect ceramic restorations in a single visit. Traditional dental crown procedures require two or three visits over several weeks and often involve uncomfortable preparation and temporary tooth caps. With the CEREC system, teeth can be restored in a single visit. After the tooth is prepared, a special camera takes an optical impression of the tooth, recording its exact specifications. Using the CAD/CAM software, the dental crown is digitally prepared and then sent to our in-office laboratory where the dental crown is created using the finest, tooth-colored ceramic material.
Do Dental Crowns Require Special After Care?
Dental crowns are highly durable as well as stain and decay resistant. To make sure that your dental crown lasts, patient’s should continue practicing good at home oral hygiene and visiting Dr. Gauthier at least twice a year. Your Apex dentist can make personalized recommendations for improving your oral health habits to support your overall, lasting dental wellness.
Schedule A Cosmetic Consultation
Enhancing your oral health should be done under the care of a highly trained dentist. If you would like to explore your treatment options, you can visit our team at Apex Dental. To schedule an appointment, call (508) 506-1691 or request an appointment online.